Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Oscar Picks


The Oscar ceremonies are a day away, and this means there is no more time to ponder, question, or revaluate predictions any more. It is time to finalize predictions. I posted previously about my picks for the major categories. I have only two variations on those picks.

I said previously that it was about 50-50 for Best Actress between Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock. In the time since the nominations were released Sandra Bullock has gained a lot of momentum. I would still give the award to Meryl Steep, but I believe Sandra Bullock will be taking the award home tomorrow. Also, I softened on how highly the Academy might think of Precious. I believe that Mo'Nique is still a solid winner for Best Supporting Actress, but I am changing my position on Best Adapted Screenplay. I am now picking Up in the Air to win. I loved the story when I saw it, and some of the interplay between the characters is phenomenal. The dialogue is snappy and even poignant at times. I thought that there would be more support for Precious, but the push is just not there.

So other than that my predictions for the main categories are all the same. I believe that whoever wins Director, whether it be Bigelow or Cameron, the other person's movie will win. I really hope to see The Hurt Locker wins, but it is very close. I could very easily see Avatar winning, and I would not throw the remote through the television if it wins. But I am sure that, unlike in year's past, the winning movie and director will be from different crews.
On to my full predictions for the Oscars.

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker

Best Director: James Cameron

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique

Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Basterds

Best Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air

Best Animated Feature: Up

Best Animated Short Film: Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
I could also very easily see The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte) winning this, but after watching both several times I enjoyed Granny O'Grimm just a bit more. They are both available in full on YouTube.

Best Documentary Feature: Food Inc.

Best Documentary Short: China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province
This is admittedly my weakest pick. I do not know many of these documentaries, so do not be at all surprised if something else wins, but I do think that this looks good.

Best Foreign Language Film: Un Prophete
Un Prophete has been trumpeted by many critics, as has The White Ribbon, but I am going to go with the gangster movie over the Holocaust movie.

Best Live Action Short Film: Instead of Abracadabra
Another weaker pick for me, but it looks very entertaining. From the preview it looks like it has a very American-sophomoric feel, like a Napolean Dynamite or a Superbad.

Art Direction: Avatar

Cinematography: Avatar
This will probably be the one technical category where Avatar could get knocked off. Most likely by Inglorious Basterds.

Costume Design: The Young Victoria

Film Editing: The Hurt Locker

Makeup: Star Trek

Original Score: Up

Original Song: The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)

Sound Editing: Avatar

Sound Mixing: Star Trek

Tune in to ABC at 8 O'clock to watch the big event hosted by Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.


No comments:

Post a Comment