Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hollywood Video Store Closing


The Hollywood Video closest to my house is closing down in order to save money they are consolidating locations in the area. This means that everything has become quite cheap. For quite some time they have been selling all rentals.

When they were selling the new DVDs for half price, I bought Revolutionary Road, Big Fan, Rachel Getting Married, Wendy and Lucy, and District 9. Some of these movies I would not have bought if they weren’t on sale. Oh, and I bought a Captain America bobblehead. Score.

When the rentals were 3 for $20, I bought Birth of a Nation, The Third Man, and The Hustler. It’s not cheap to buy old movies, especially something as old as Birth of a Nation. Generally stores like Borders might have it, but only as some massive boxed set with interviews, extra content, and some PBS documentary. So, buying off Hollywood Video or some other closing video store is one of the best ways to expand a classic collection cheaply.

At 3 for $15, I bought Judgement at Nuremberg, the original version of The Ladykillers, and Earth a Russian film by director Alexander Dovzhenko. I am not very well versed in foreign films, but I do love the old Soviet directors.

The company sent the store overflow stock, which the store is still selling for $3.99. Not wanting to miss such an opportunity I spent a good amount of time scouring through these discount shelves for some quality movies. I managed to dig up some real gems.

Gone with the Wind

The Godfather Part III

The Life of Emile Zola

Straw Dogs

Among some others. Some obscure documentaries, Futurama episodes and such. If anyone in the area is reading this, I suggest you check it out. There are still some movies left. I’m sure there’s a little something for everybody. The store should be closing soon, definitely sometime this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment